Recipe provided courtesy of Great Tastes of Manitoba. Visit their website for video instructions on how to prepare Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Lentil Granola Bars and other great Manitoba recipes. MOGA is a Product Placement Sponsor of Great Tastes of Manitoba.
1 cup (250ml) red lentils
1 ¾ cups (315ml) water
3 cups Manitoba rolled oats
¾ cup Manitoba whole-wheat flour
¼ cup ground flax
1 cup (250ml) walnuts – chopped
2/3 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup corn syrup
2 (10ml) teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon (5ml) cinnamon
1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
½ cup dried cranberries – chopped
1 cup dark chocolate (250g) – coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Add red lentils and reduce heat to a simmer – will take approximately 20 minutes to cook, uncovered. Remove from heat, drain excess liquid (if any) and allow to cool.
- Combine oats, flour, flax, walnuts and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine lentils, peanut butter, honey, maple syrup and vanilla. Blend with a whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix fully. Fold in chopped cranberries and chocolate.
- Press the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- When done, allow to cool and cut into desired bar-shaped size.
Yield: 20 bars
Recipe courtesy of Great Tastes of Manitoba