A gluten-free version of a favourite cookie.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus extra to roll the cookies in.
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole oats (or 1 1/8 cups ready-made oat flour)
1/2 cup almonds or walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the oat and nut flour: put the oats into a blender or food processer. Blend on high speed until the oats have a very fine, flour-like texture. Add the almonds and blend until the almonds are finely chopped.
- Make the cookie dough: cream together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy; stir in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together 1 5/8 cups oat and nut flour and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, using a spatula to combine them.
- Chill the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Roll the dough into small balls (a little smaller than a golf ball) and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 11-14 minutes, just until they barely start to turn golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- While they are still warm, carefully roll each cookie in a small bowl of powdered sugar until evenly coated.
- Let the cookies cool completely and then enjoy!