There are only five ingredients in these delicious, crispy fried eggplants. Oats give the breading fantastic texture and makes the recipe gluten-free! Plus, they can be either fried or baked according to your preference.
1 large (or 2 or 3 small) purple eggplants
4 cups (360 grams) whole oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (240 mL) frying oil
- Slice the eggplant into thin (about 1/8” / .3 cm) rounds.
- Place all the oats in a blender or food processor. Blend for about 10 seconds, until the oats are broken up but not finely blended. Remove 1 ½ cup of oats from the blender and place them into a medium bowl. Then, continue blending the remaining oats until they turn into a very fine flour. Put this oat flour into another medium bowl. Stir in the teaspoon of salt.
- In a third bowl, crack two eggs. Whisk them with a fork.
- Pour the frying oil into a skillet and heat over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, coat each piece of eggplant first in the oat flour, then in the egg, then in the roughly chopped oats.
- When the oil is hot, very carefully place pieces of breaded eggplant in the oil. Do not let the eggplants overlap; you will have to do several batches. Fry the eggplants until they are golden brown on the bottom side, 1-2 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is brown too.
- Put the fried eggplants on a plate covered with a paper towel or newspaper and continue frying the rest.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Place the breaded eggplants on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake 10 more minutes, so that they are golden brown on the outside. If you’d like them to be extra crispy, turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes at the end of baking.
- You can serve these delicious fried eggplants as an appetizer with your favorite salsa or dip.
- Or, you can turn them into a wonderful eggplant parmesan: simply cover the bottom of a 9x9” baking dish with fried eggplant slices and cover with your favorite tomato sauce and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Continue to make layers of eggplant, tomato sauce, and cheese until you fill the pan, then bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with a side salad. Enjoy!