This play on the classic “Sopa de Tortilla en Bolitas” uses high-protein oat flour instead of corn tortillas as the base for its delicious bolitas. This is a great recipe for those who are gluten-free… or for anyone who doesn’t have stale tortillas lying around but still wants a delicious, hearty soup!
For the oat fritters:
4 cups (360 g) whole oats
1/2 cup (120 mL) milk
1/2 of a yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
A few grinds of black pepper
1 cup (100 g) grated cotija cheese or grated salted mozzarella
1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
For the soup:
2 whole white onions, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
16 whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 cups (240 mL) beef or vegetable broth
1/2 cup (120 mL) heavy cream
Cilantro and sour cream, to garnish
- In a large bowl, soak the oats in the milk for about 30 minutes. While the oats are soaking, start the tomato soup.
- In a large soup pot, heat two tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until they start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, tomato paste, vinegar, and sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Stir until the tomatoes start to break apart, then add the stock, cover the pot with a lid, and let it cook for 20 minutes, until the tomatoes have broken down. Remove the lid and let the soup simmer while you cook the fritters.
- Transfer the oats to a food processor along with the onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, cayenne, black pepper, egg, and cheese. Purée until smooth, adding a little extra milk if it is too dry. Gently roll the mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Cook the oat balls, turning as needed, until golden on all sides, 5 minutes. Transfer fried balls to a plate and set them aside as you cook the rest.
- Use an immersion blender to thoroughly puree the tomato soup, then add the cream and the oat fritters.
- Serve garnished with a little sour cream and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!